North Shields Polytechnic Club is committed to ensuring a safe athletics environment for all. Our Safeguarding Policy aligns with that of our governing body, UK Athletics which states that ‘Everyone who takes part in athletics is entitled to participate in an enjoyable and safe environment.’ We are committed to promoting best practice when working with children and young people under the age of 18 years and ensuring that everyone in the organisation accepts their responsibilities to safeguard them from harm and abuse.
Our Safeguarding Policies are available to download here, and is also available in hard copy at the clubhouse. It contains details of how to report any concerns about the welfare of a child or young person, and a referral form for doing so.
We have two Welfare Officers, Laura Hope and Graham Lewis-Dale, who act as the club’s designated child protection lead officers.
The Welfare Officer’s role is to:
- Advise and support the club officers and committee to implement welfare policies and procedures and to support the club to adhere to codes of conduct and good practice.
- Ensure that all club coaches / helpers / volunteers have completed a volunteer recruitment process which includes DBS checks (where required).
- Respond to suspected breaches of the Safeguarding Policy that may be referred to them, in accordance with the club’s Safeguarding Policy.
- Report any concerns about child abuse to the UKA Lead Safeguarding Officer in the first instance.
Our Welfare Officers have completed UKA-approved training in safeguarding and will help ensure that best practice in reporting is followed.
They can be contacted on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Hope - 07850 405101
Graham Lewis-Dale - 07415 393960
Helping you know what to do in different situations
- Don't_Keep_It_To_Yourself is a one page summary of helpful advice aimed at children and young people from UK Athletics.
- The Athletics Safeguarding Flowchart explains how to respond to allegations against a volunteer or another young person within the athletics environment.
- The England Athletics Complaints Flowchart explains how to report allegations against a volunteer within the athletics environment and, essentially, who to report to.
- The UKA England Athletics Whistleblowing Flowchart outlines the whistleblowing policy as adopted by UKA and England Athletics.
Our club headquarters and training ground are located at:
Churchill Playing Fields